And one other 28 p.c have had an sudden vacation price hit them within the pocket whereas they have been staycationing within the UK.
In complete, 45 p.c of respondents are “dreading” the reintroduction of roaming fees for holidaymakers in EU international locations.
Sayed Hajamaideen, spokesman for SMARTY Cell, which commissioned the analysis, stated: “Individuals already spend massive quantities of money on vacation, however it definitely stings getting hit with sudden fees.
“You may plan to the final Euro – or greenback, or rupee – however there are some issues that may’t be legislated for.
“And with regards to extra cellular payments, typically you gained’t see the injury till weeks after you get again, which might be much more annoying.”
In complete, those that have been caught out financially on vacation estimate they’ve been pressured to half with just below £200 per particular person on sudden prices.
And that is regardless of spending just below 4 hours planning each doable circumstance to keep away from these pointless charges.
Just below half (47 p.c) of holidaymakers think about it “essential” to pre-plan a vacation lengthy upfront, to keep away from surprises.
Different widespread monetary points to plague Brits overseas embody needing to pay for further baggage, and attempting – and failing – to haggle with a market dealer.
The examine, performed by way of OnePoll, additionally discovered one other one in 5 have helped themselves to one thing from the minibar, solely to be left wide-eyed after they calculated its value.
And almost a 3rd (30 p.c) have needed to get on the telephone to ring their financial institution whereas overseas to try to kind out a monetary problem.
This left 32 p.c with stress ranges by means of the roof, 27 p.c with their checking account locked – and 24 p.c stranded with out money.
Sayed Hajamaideen added: “Whereas everyone seems to be feeling the pinch of the surging value of dwelling, SMARTY clients might be sure that they may by no means expertise undesirable surprises on their cellular payments, whether or not at residence or overseas.
“We’re serving to clients to navigate change by giving them management of their telephone invoice, with the ability to flex their information plan relying on their wants.
“They are going to have one much less cash matter to fret about after they’re overseas within the EU, as we’re staying true to our easy and sincere values by not altering our EU coverage.”
15 WAYS BRITS ARE CAUGHT OUT FINANCIALLY ON HOLIDAY:
- Getting unexpectedly charged to make use of a money machine
- Paying a fortune on information roaming fees in your telephone
- Poor alternate price to modify to native foreign money
- Having a taxi invoice a lot increased than you anticipated
- Having to pay for extra baggage
- Making an attempt to haggle however nonetheless getting fleeced on a product
- Taking one thing out of the minibar with out realising the worth
- Attending to the money level and discovering out VAT wasn’t added on to the worth tag
- A flight delay that means it’s a must to keep one other night time at a lodge
- Not realising how a lot the airport switch was going to value
- Lacking a flight and having to purchase a brand new one
- Journey insurance coverage not protecting one thing I believed it might
- Had financial institution card skimmed after utilizing a shady ATM or contactless machine
- Dropping your passport and needing to kind out a brand new one
- Encountering sudden Covid-related Match to Fly journey prices