Thankfully, WhatsApp offers a way-out for these unwanted downloads. Both Android and iPhone users can disable auto-download of media on their phone.
How to stop auto download of WhatsApp photos and videos on iPhone
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings
- Tap on Storage and Data
- Here, you will see Media Auto-Download option for Photos, Audio, Video and Documents
- You can change the function to ‘Never’ for each media individually
Doing this will stop WhatsApp from automatically downloading media files shared with you in an individual chat or via a group chat. Only the files you choose to download manually will appear.
Further, if you don’t want these photos to appear in your iPhone’s camera roll, follow these steps:
- Head to Settings on WhatsApp
- Tap on the Chats section
- Here, turn off the ‘Save to Camera Roll’ option
How to stop auto download of WhatsApp photos and videos on Android phone
- Open WhatsApp and head to Settings
- Here, tap on Storage and Data
- You will see three options — ‘When using mobile data’, ‘When connected on Wi-Fi’, ‘When roaming’.
- Tap and disable auto-downloads for all media- images, audio and video
Now, when a contact will share a photo/audio/video with you on WhatsApp, it has to be downloaded manually. In case you don’t want them to appear in your phone’s photo gallery, here are the steps
- Open the chat window on WhatsApp
- Go to Settings and tap on Chat
- Look for Media visibility and toggle it off